BIG CHANGES COME TO CORTE MADERA AFTER WWII
Aerial view of Corte Madera in 1946, as post-WWII population pressures prompted the filling in of Corte Madera's historic tidelands. Notice the rectangular layer of fill on the north side of Tamalpais Drive (then known as First Street), where the first block of Madera Gardens homes would later be built. The hillside where Blue Rock Court exists today was being carved up for new streets and homes there as well. The two-lane 'highway' that would later become eight-lane Hwy 101 is visible, along with the old railroad tracks on the Tiburon-to-San Rafael line atop a levee bordering the remaining tidelands.