Leaders of the Corte Madera Women's Improvement Club in 1908, just a few years after San Francisco families built year-round homes in Corte Madera following the Great Earthquake of 1906. These early community leaders took charge of getting boardwalks built, streetlights installed, garbage collected, and parks established in the years before Corte Madera became a real town. Various histories of the Women's Club that have been written over the years are at 1950, 1956, 1967, and 1991.
On Park Day, February 22, 1908, members of the Women's Club flanked a local dignitary at the dedication of the new Railroad Park that was planned, funded, and created by the ladies. It was a linear park that ran parallel to the east side of the railroad tracks. The park was later moved to the west side of the train station so that Park Street (now Tamalpais Drive) could be widened to its full 40-foot width.
Railroad Park in Old Corte Madera Square was landscaped and maintained for many years by members of the Corte Madera Women’s Club for the enjoyment of the community. This view of the Square shows the park in 1926. Twenty years later, after the trains stopped running, it was re-named Menke Park. Almost half-a-century after that, a Victorian bandstand known as Piccolo Pavilion was added, and since 2003, free Sunday afternoon concerts have been a popular attraction there every week during the summer months.